https://sciex.com/content/SCIEX/na/us/en

Are there Antibiotics in your Thanksgiving Turkey?

Nov 24, 2015 | Blogs, Food / Beverage | 0 comments

Truth – the first turkey I ever cooked was still frozen when it hit our plates. I couldn’t figure out why that thing was taking so long to roast. Then it hit me. I forgot to defrost the bird. If I recall correctly, even the giblets were still in it. It was ten p.m. when I broke the news to my guests that the turkey was not happening. A pizza was ordered, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief that they would not be suffering from a bout of food poisoning.

These days I defrost the turkey a few days ahead of the holiday. I know a turkey is done when it reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit in the thigh and 165 degrees in the breast or stuffing. However, what I do not know is whether pesticides are lurking in the yummy deliciousness. As a scientist, I think about these things all the time. It is a common work hazard. For instance, the mass produced turkeys you find in the grocery store are injected with veterinary medicines to prevent illnesses and accelerate growth. No matter how long you cook the bird, those pesticides can remain in the meat even though a required withdrawal period takes place before slaughter.

Thankfully, manufacturers entrust labs to test routinely food for antibiotics using technology like the SCIEX QTRAP® which can detect antibiotics at trace levels. Common drugs including OxytetracyclineTetracycline and Chlortetracycline, can be detected at low levels in less than three minutes. What is more is that our High-Resolution MS library contains more than 240 veterinary drug compounds to assist labs in the analysis of animal tissue that makes me feel much better about eating my turkey.  

I understand not everyone wants a mass spectrometer as their centrepiece on Thanksgiving Day, which is why you can be grateful the testing happens well in advance of the bird purchase. However, if you are concerned about antibiotics in your turkey then check with local farmers to see how they raise their birds.

USDA Turkey FACTS

• Before turkeys reach retail stores, they are inspected for disease by the USDA or state systems
  • No hormones have been approved for use in turkeys
  • Limits are set for drug residue (numbers are not published on their website)

The rising tide of food allergies: Common questions and crucial insights

Allergy policies for nut-free commercial flights and nut-free childcare settings are not a rare occurrence nowadays—the reason is a rise in food allergies. Nuts are the most potent allergenic foods in terms of the amount that is required to elicit an allergic reaction and the severity of those reactions.

Guide decisions during cell line development with more information at the intact level

Monitoring product quality attributes (PQAs) throughout monoclonal antibody (mAb) development is vital to ensuring drug safety and efficacy. By adopting orthogonal analytical techniques and integrating new technologies that have the potential to provide more information, it is possible to improve product quality and manufacturing efficiency and make more informed decisions.

Better mRNA-LNPs: encapsulation efficiency, mRNA integrity and purity, lipid N-oxides and beyond

Lipid nanoparticles (LNPs) are widely used vehicles for mRNA-based therapeutics and vaccines. However, ionizable lipids used in LNPs can be susceptible to N-oxide impurities that can cause functional loss of the mRNA cargo.

Posted by

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial